Monday, September 26, 2011

Cheesy Bolognaise Pasta Bake

This is one of Hubby's favourite meals. I was getting bored with cooking the same old spaghetti bolognaise, and was looking for something just a little different to do with it. I came across a recipe and adapted it to suit us. It's quick and easy to prepare, and I'm going to share it with you!

What I used:

500g beef mince
1 onion, diced
1 cup frozen beans
2 small carrots, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tin diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons oil
1 jar pasta sauce
250g pasta (I used penne because that's all I had. Spirals work well too)

For the sauce: (ingredients not pictured)

100g butter, chopped
1/2 cup plain four
2 1/4 cup milk, warmed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup grated tasty cheese

What I did:

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 5 cm deep, 26cm x 17cm 8 cup capacity baking dish.

2. Heat oil in a frypan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Add mince and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown. Add tomatoes, carrots and beans. Stir in pasta sauce and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.




3. Cook pasta according to packet directions, or if you have a super cool sensor function on your microwave like me, do that! I never cook pasta on the stove any more, I just use my 2 litre Pyrex jug (just beware of it boiling over.) Drain. Combine pasta with mince mixture and pour/spoon into your baking dish.








4. Making the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Remove pan from the heat and stir in warmed milk. Return to heat. Cook while stirring for 8 minutes or until sauce thickens. Cool for 5 minutes, then stir in egg and cheese. Pour over mince mixture.

5. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Serve on it's own or with salad.


Emily loves this dish too. There's rarely any leftover the next day!
In the words of our favourite Backpack, "Yum yum yum yum yum, ¡delicioso!"


Linking up for Menu Monday for the very first time
with