Monday, August 22, 2011

When kids are sick...

Two weeks ago Emily started daycare. 2 days a week for the first time ever, purely for social interaction. She came home at the end of that week with a runny nose. Now, two weeks later the Little Princesses and myself are sick.  Awful hacking cough with green snot/phlegm (Emily & I) and Jess has a very stuffed runny green snot nose (the bulb aspirator is not a hit!) 


I was in two minds about sending Emily to daycare today, mainly because of her cough. I decided to keep her home. I'm a stay at home mum, so it was no drama for me too keep her home, but what if I was working, I wonder if I'd be in the same mind? Or would I be thinking differently about whether or not to send her?

I'm making sure Emily is drinking plenty of water, and that Jess is feeding ok. I've also been teaching Emily to cough into her sleeve, which I think is working pretty well. Not really much else I can do.  But I wasn't sure whether or not to drag them all the way to the doctors, only for him to tell me it's just a virus and there's nothing to do for it. I'm usually a rush-to-the-doctor-at-the-first-sign-of-sick kind of mum, but this time I'm not sure there's any point.

I did have a sore throat for a few days and sounded like Marge Simpson apparently (Hubby could not take me seriously when I roused at him) I feel heaps better today than I did for the last few days, so hopefully they'll be right soon.

So my reason for posting today is this - When is a sick child too sick to send to daycare/school? And what are your thoughts on giving children (not babies) cough medicine?


Righto, I'm off to Glen 20 everything!