Saturday, July 2, 2011

Donuts and Don't-nuts

Last week while I was doing some grocery shopping I spotted a mini donut maker on sale for $9.99, normally $19.99. Being the appliance junkie that I am, and not having the hubby with me for the first time in ages, I quickly put one in my trolley.

I was waiting for hubby to say something as he was helping unpack the car when I got home. All I got was “the look.” You know the one, “you spent money on THAT?”

I thought I better get my $10 worth out of it as soon as possible, so after the house was quiet, girls in bed and hubby at work, I got out my mini donut maker and made a batch according to a recipe in the instructions.

Well, what resulted wasn’t exactly what I’d imagined. It was hit and miss on getting the right amount of dough in the holes so as to not overflow or be too flat, and there was no hole, just a thin film of mixture.

The don’tnuts as I dubbed them, were way too dense and doughy, not at all the light, fluffiness I was anticipating.  I wasn’t too disappointed; after all you get what you pay for right?


A couple of days later I was pondering how I could improve my recipe to get the perfect donut. Enter Mr Google. After a quick search for mini donut maker recipe, I found one that was similar to the one in the manual, but with a little less flour and milk. I also realised that I should have mixed my batter with an electric mixer! There it was. The most likely reason my first batch failed! Duh!

I was determined to get the fluffiest, yummiest donuts out of this thing so I set to work. With a new recipe and electric mixer at hand I turned out a great big batch of yummy donuts! Success! I used a squeeze sauce bottle to neatly fill each cavity in the machine and keep the hole in the donut! These donuts were the best straight out of the machine. Let me tell you it was so hard to resist eating any them all. Light and fluffy on the inside, with a slight crispiness on the outside.


I did get more than this out of one batch of batter, but, quality control, you know. And a three year old.  The next job was the icing. This was the perfect job for Emily to help with, and we had a bit of fun too.


Mmm, still fluffy and light!

Not too many made it to the end, but they were thoroughly enjoyed by all. Definitely got my $10 worth!

6 comments:

melanie w said...

WOW you actually had success with one of these i have one (it was a gift to the kids) and all i can get it to produce is doughnut shaped rocks can i ask what recipe you used i would love to give it another try instead of it just sitting in the cupboard taking up space.
operationhotmother@hellokitty.com

Leimay said...

I'd love the recipe you used too... we have one
(i think it was $5 when i picked it up as something fun for the kids) we used it once and its been in the cupboard ever since.
I'd love to whip up some mini donuts for the kids with it that they all like (and me too)

Belinda said...

Hi! I found the recipe here http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=6020 and I used Recipe 1. I increased the milk to 1 cup (instead of 3/4) and I also added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

Good luck, would love you to come back and let me know how you went!

Leimay said...

I can't access the link keeps taking me to sign in page (i am a member so signed in and thought i'd copy/paste it here for those who aren't members)
Recipe 1:
PLAIN DOUGHNUTS
1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
1⁄2 cup caster sugar
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
125g butter, softened
1 x 60g egg
3⁄4 cup milk
1. In a large bowl, stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to combine. Add butter, egg, and milk, beat with electric
mixer until the mixture is thick, smooth and creamy.
2. Preheat for 4-5 minutes. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture evenly into each hole of the doughnut maker. Close lid. Cook for 2 minutes or until doughnuts are golden brown and soft to touch.
3. Carefully remove hot doughnuts from the doughnut maker and place onto a wire rack.
Makes 24 doughnuts.

Belinda said...

Awesome Leimay, thanks!

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

Oh wowee, these look yummy! Might have to go out in search of one of these makers.

xoxox

Kellie.

Post a Comment